Monday, February 9, 2015

Bless Your Little Heart... and Other Subversive Women's Code






Inspired by a recent blog by Lisbeth Darsh called It's Not All Kettlebells and Kumbuyas where she discusses how women react to each other regarding competition. Her post hit home for me in many ways and I felt the need to vent the frustration that she unleashed.

These days men have been getting a majority of the blame for "putting women down' and not "treating us equally" and I have to say the issue is not men. Both at the "Box" and at work I am supported by the men, there is no bullshit, no ego. When I do something well they congratulate me and when I fuck up, boy do they let me know, but it is all good. Women on the other hand are the biggest obstacle to my success. Very few women celebrate other women's' successes. They will high five you, congratulate you but there is always an undercurrent of resentment. I find that women that are confident in themselves and where they are in life have no problem with the success of other women and will do anything they can to help them. I seek these women out since I know they will have your back no matter what happens and those are the true bad asses (and I know several and I thank God every day I have them in my life).

Lately I have run into what I call the "subversive" women. They pretend to be happy for you but in a passive/aggressive way they belittle you and put you down the first chance they get. I tried to explain this to my husband one day and he understood but did not "truly" understand how such small, petty stuff could add up and wear down a person. I have even lost several nights sleeps due to this type of behavior.

After reading Lisbeth's blog I realized a couple of things. I'm competitive, I'm loud, I'm opinionated and I am not going to let someone else's insecurity stop me from being proud of my accomplishments. Both inside and outside the "Box". I will sleep well tonight dreaming about my new PR

No comments:

Post a Comment